Wednesday, October 02, 2002

One thing that MS has made me do is examine my priorities. I've always had a hard time saying no, and I have a tendency to overload my schedule. Now that I have less energy, I'm more careful about how I expend it. I'm finding it easier to say no, and to cut out those things in my life that aren't worth the hassles.

For example, I've been dissatisfied with one organization for quite a while. Before my illness, I would just grin and bear it, figuring that I was getting enough out of the experience to make it worth continuing. But now, I realize that it's draining my energy, without a whole lot to show for it. As a matter of fact, the last three times I met with people from that group, someone had something unfriendly to say to me. So I decided "why bother?" and cut my ties. Some people won't understand, but the important thing is that I do what I know in my heart to be right.

Another thing I've been so careful about since my diagnosis is not to use my illness as an excuse. It would be so easy, so convenient, for me to not try to do something because I have an illness. But then, I'd miss out on an awful lot. I may be a few steps slower, and I may tire out quicker, but I can do anything I want to do.

I just hope noone else falls into that trap, of assuming that my saying no is because of the MS. Yeah, when I first was diagnosed, I turned down additional commitments while I evaluated the impact that this disease would have on my life. But if people think that I'm cutting back on activities because of my illness, they are sorely mistaken.

I'm just being pickier.

No comments:

Post a Comment