Monday, March 10, 2003

Greenbrier Weekend

We had a wonderful vacation! The weather was absolutely perfect, which they said is a first for a long time. On Friday night, we basically just rested and ate. After an awesome breakfast on Saturday, we took a tour of their formerly-top-secret bunker. We had a quick lunch, then took a carriage ride around the resort. Then it was off to the spa for some stone massages, followed by more relaxing and eating. We shopped a little yesterday before getting into the car to head home. We stopped by Tim's grandmother's for a surprise visit during the afternoon, and then got home to cheer on both of our alma maters to upset victories in basketball.

The only downside of the weekend was some lower back pain. It's been almost two months since it's felt this bad. Even the massage didn't do a whole lot for it. I have an herbal back pillow that I can heat up and apply to it, but I can't find the thing - ack.

Anniversary Update

I'll be too busy this weekend to mope about the fact that I was diagnosed with MS a year ago. On Friday night, I'll be watching the ACC Tournament at home with Tim and our friends Walter and Rhonda. In addition to watching more basketball and having a fantasy baseball draft on Saturday, I'll also be heading out for dinner with friends, including one of Tim's colleagues from Germany. I always have a blast with this crew.

The ACC Tournament is one of my favorite sporting events of the year. Who am I kidding? It's the best. I just wish I could be home Friday afternoon to watch Wake Forest play, but things will be too busy at work, unfortunately. At least UVA managed to avoid the play-in game, so I can watch them on Friday night while munching on pizza and wings and having a beer. That's a great way to spend a Friday night.

Get With the Program

Now that vacation is over, it's time to kick it up a notch and enter Phase 2. The goals include adding another glass of water and another day of functional exercises. I've been meeting the Phase 2 requirements for those two areas for the past two weeks, so no problem there. I also am supposed to start adding cardio and limiting my alcohol. Between the fitness center at work (literally, right around the corner from my desk) and my exercises videos, I should be able to handle the cardio requirement.

I'm going to do an exercise video tonight. I planned to make black bean lasagna for dinner, and it takes awhile to bake. On the plus side, that means I can put it together, throw it in the oven, and forget about it while I work out. Tim has a meeting tonight, so I will have plenty of time to do both my functional exercises and a cardio workout before dinner. I've already exceeded my water requirement for today, so I'm on track there.

No comments:

Post a Comment