Wednesday, January 22, 2003

Time to register another first - my first business trip since my diagnosis.

I couldn't go just anywhere. I had to go to New England...in the dead of winter...during a cold snap. What a rude awakening to hear "It's zero degrees outside" when my alarm went off this morning. I was a bit nervous about this trip. I'm completely on my own. Granted, I did this all the time when I was consulting. But then, I didn't know about the MS. It's different when you throw an illness into the loop.

And how's it going? Fine. I'm staying in a delightful inn in Westborough, MA where I feel pampered. The room is huge and toasty, with a couch and plenty of room for my yoga mat. And there's a full kitchen downstairs, so I don't have to go out at night in the ghastly cold. Funny, when I'm home, I love to go out to eat, but in this weather, I much prefer hanging out at the inn, munching on a rotisserie chicken. The only nerve-wracking part was trying to find the inn that first night. Note to self: Print out the freakin' directions from the Internet before going on any trip. I made fun of the van driver who couldn't get a college group to LaGuardia Airport, but yet I neglected to get my own directions this trip.

I have made some concessions for my illness, but nothing too drastic. I prepaid for gas for the rental car. That way, I don't have to worry about finding a gas station in downtown Boston by myself after dark in below-zero windchills when I'm in a hurry. It's worth not having to deal with that stress. And I bought a bunch of water bottles at the grocery store yesterday, so that I can keep myself properly hydrated. Then there's my shot - I moved that out to Saturdays, just in case I have a problem getting home from this trip. Since they're calling for snow in NC tonight and tomorrow, I'm glad I've taken that precaution. I also left room in my carry-on bag for an extra change of clothes and my toothbrush, in case I get to call Logan Airport my home-away-from-home tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment