Wednesday, May 30, 2012

World MS Day

Today is World MS Day.  The NC chapters of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society are honoring the occasion with an advocacy day.  Today is a day to contact elected officials and be one of the 1000 Faces of MS, personalizing what it means to live with or be affected by MS.

Here's my story:


I am a married mother of 2 small boys who was laid off from work
earlier this year.  I've been fortunate enough to have insurance that
covered all of the expenses associated with MS, such as MRIs, frequent
medical appointments, IV infusions, and numerous medicines.  But once
my COBRA runs out, I'll be faced with the horrible dilemma of not being
able to afford insurance, or not being able to get the treatment I need
to function. Trying to find work with MS is a struggle, since some
people equate trouble walking with trouble getting any job done during
the day (even a sedentary one).

This face of MS knows I have a lot to contribute, as a mom and an IT
professional with a master's degree and multiple certifications.  Like
so many people with MS, I don't want a handout - I just want a chance.
People with MS can still live and thrive, if they have the access to
the medical care and medicines.  During the 10 years since my
diagnosis, there has been so much progress in treatment options...but
there's still so far to go.

MS strikes people in the prime of life, when they still have so much to
offer.  Supporting MS research and treatment options is an investment
in a vital part of the population that has a lot to contribute.

I am one of the "1000 Faces of MS" and this is what living
with MS means me.

No comments:

Post a Comment