Saturday, August 24, 2002

Shot training is over, and I've gotten through my first shot. It wasn't nearly as awful as I expected it to be. My hand shook during the shot, but I didn't hurt myself. That turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Tim is so worried that he's going to hurt me, but knowing that I didn't hurt myself with such a shaky hand should reassure him. Having Tim and Sue along insured that the situation could not be taken very seriously...and in this case, that was a very good thing.

I was warned about the side effects. It would not be unusual to have a fever of 101 for most of the day, or violent shaking chills. Nausea was also a possibility. When all was said and done, my fever never went higher than 99, and I was more tired than usual, but that's all. I'm one of the lucky ones. I still plan to take my Tylenol or Advil faithfully on shot day, though...better safe than sorry. I've heard that the early shots have the worst side effects and that you get used to it over time. Needless to say, I'm relieved that all went so well for the first.

One of my cyberfriends sent me a pack of Winnie the Pooh bandaids. Funny, I had bought the exact ones for myself earlier in the day. Lisa knows me so well.

So it's two days later, and I feel fine. I can still find the spot on my leg where I gave myself the shot, but it just looks like a freckle.

I can do this. The concept of injecting myself with medicine once a week was freaky, but now that I've done it once, I know I can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment